Existing Member?

Stories of Empowerment

Documentary Scholarship 2011 entry

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 20 May 2011 | Views [1860] | Comments [10] | Scholarship Entry

As a child, I used to think it was a curse that our family moved so frequently. Although I eventually learned how to quickly adapt myself to new environments, I always dreaded leaving the place of familiarity. Growing up in three different countries -Korea, America, and Canada - and transferring to 16 different schools molded me into an adventurous individual, but infused a sense that my life was rootless and insignificant.
Insignificant was how Bangladeshi women used to feel about themselves, too. These women that I met in the slums of Dhaka and the rural villages of Durgapur were taught to believe that their sole purpose in life was to be subservient to the male figures in their lives. The stories of transformation and empowerment that were rising in these communities, however, gave me hope and challenged me to fully use the voice that I have.
My trip to Bangladesh was a pivotal moment in my life that helped me to transition from Biology to filmmaking. Encountering powerful stories from women who were once voiceless, inspired me to become a storyteller who can communicate such stories to others. Seven months ago, I moved back to America from Canada to study documentary filmmaking at the New York Film Academy, and this is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. The World Nomad Scholarship will enable me to become a better documentary maker with more empathy and experience, further equipping me to become the great storyteller I hope to be.

Tags: #2011Video, Travel Documentary Scholarship 2011

Comments

1

Great work here, dear! You did a good job!

  zayedh May 20, 2011 10:10 PM

2

yeeeah!!

  canucks Jun 8, 2011 6:29 AM

3

Impressive !!!!

  Shorty Jun 8, 2011 9:33 AM

4

Looks great! Go, Sarah!

  NYFA Docs Jun 10, 2011 4:20 AM

5

This was fantastic! Wonderfully done Sarah!

  TD Jun 15, 2011 10:05 AM

6

good job !!!!! and the last scene is very touching

  Marco Vitale Jun 15, 2011 10:19 AM

7

Sarah this is awesome! I know you will do great no matter what happens!

  Chanae Jun 15, 2011 11:30 AM

8

wow Sarah this is amazing

  alka Jun 16, 2011 6:18 AM

9

Sarah! Congratulations. Inspiring and beautifully made. I am right there with you on your journey to receive the scholarship you deserve!

  Louisa Merino Jun 16, 2011 10:25 AM

10

GREAT Video! You so deserve this scholarship Sarah!

  Ferb Jun 22, 2011 11:25 AM

About bideshi


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.